Saving our Historic Buildings
As you may imagine, Scaffolding access for historic landmarks is a specialist area and we are regularly contracted by Local councils and Private owners for peace of mind when dealing with delicate history. They require scaffolders with an excellent track record.
Our landmarks we have helped in the restoration of include:
Netherwhitton Hall, nr Morpeth
Grade I listed mansion house built c1685 by Robert Trollope for Sir Nicholas Thornton. Access to main ground floor rooms and external elevations. Built as a family home and remains the current family home.
St. Mary’s Lighthouse – Whitley Bay
St. Mary’s Lighthouse is on the tiny Bait Island, just north of Whitley Bay. The small rocky tidal island is linked to the mainland by a short concrete causeway which is submerged at high tide.
While it no longer functions as a working lighthouse, it is easily accessible (when the tide is out) and is open to visitors and has a small museum, a visitor’s centre, and a cafe.
The lighthouse and adjacent keepers’ cottages were built in 1898 by the John Miller company of Tynemouth, using 645 blocks of stone and 750,000 bricks. It was built on the site of a monastery where a small sanctuary light would have acted as a guide to passing ships. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1984 and stands at 38-metre (125 ft) in height.
The Discovery Museum – Newcastle upon Tyne
a science museum and local history museum situated in Blandford Square in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It displays many exhibits of local history, including Turbinia, the 34 metre long ship built by Charles Algernon Parsons to test the advantages of using the steam turbine to power ships. It also features examples of Joseph Swan’s early lightbulbs which were invented on Tyneside.
It houses the regimental museum for the 15th/19th The King’s Royal Hussars and the Northumberland Hussars, exploring the human side of 200 years of life in the army. It is a “hands-on” museum designed to interest both children and adults.
It is one of the biggest free museums in North East England, and in 2006 was winner of the North East’s Best Family Experience award at the North East England Tourism Awards. It is managed by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums and sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Discovery Museum started life in 1934 as the Municipal Museum of Science and Industry. The collections were housed in a temporary pavilion built for the 1929 North East Coast Exhibition in Exhibition Park, Newcastle. This was the first UK science museum outside London.
The collections and displays grew for another forty years, until the temporary pavilion could no longer meet the Museum’s needs. In 1978, the Museum was re-located to Blandford House, the former Co-operative Wholesale Society Headquarters for the Northern Region. Designed by Oliver, Leeson and Wood, this magnificent 1899 building had been the distribution centre for over 100 Co-op stores across the region, and contained extensive warehouse space and offices.
In 1993 the Museum was re-launched as Discovery Museum. Ongoing refurbishment has brought many new displays in recent years. This includes the spectacular transfer of Turbinia, in 1994, from her old home in Exhibition Park through the streets of Newcastle to the new entrance hall at Discovery.
In 2004 the £13 million redevelopment of the Museum was complete and the following year the venue attracted 450,000 visitors.
Other landmarks include
St Cuthberts Church – Durham